Clinical & School Psychology
The Clinical and School Psychology Program at the University of Virginia prepares Ph.D. psychologists to be leaders in the research and practice of promoting the development and well-being of children, adolescents, and young adults in context. The program is unique in that it integrates training in clinical and school psychology, recognizing the critical role that classrooms and schools play in the shaping of youth’s well-being, mental health, and development from preschool through college. Education and training includes strong, integrated grounding in: the foundational elements of clinical and school psychology, research skills essential to consuming and producing new knowledge and interventions in applied settings, and clinical skills necessary to provide competent, ethical assessment, intervention, and consultation services. The program embraces a scientist-practitioner model and is committed to training scholars and practitioners who integrate awareness and knowledge of individual and cultural diversity into their daily work.
“The Clinical & School Psychology program was the perfect way for me to combine my clinical interests with my love for working with children and in schools.”– Dr. Lora Henderson, Recent Alumna, Clinical & School Psychology
Learn about our Ph.D. program at an upcoming event.
Clinical and School Psychology Ph.D. Program: Open House
- When: Tuesday, 9/28 from 5:30pm - 7:00pm EST
- Where: Zoom (click link to register)
- What: This event is an opportunity for prospective applicants to learn about the program mission, applied training experiences, and research opportunities; tips will also be shared about the application review process. The last hour will be reserved for applicants to meet with one or two research advisors (Bradshaw, Cornell, Downer, Lyons, and Mazurek) in small groups to learn about their lab and current research.
3rd Annual Diversifying Clinical and School Psychology Event
- When: Tuesday, 10/19 from 5:30 – 7:00pm EST
- Where: Zoom (click link to register)
- What: This event is geared toward prospective applicants who identify as an underrepresented minority within the field of clinical or school psychology (e.g., racial-ethnic minorities, members of the LGBTQIA+ community). The session will address program-specific initiatives related to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Attendees will also have opportunities to meet current graduate students to learn about life at UVA and in Charlottesville, as well as talk with program faculty in small groups.
THE CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGY PROGRAM BY THE NUMBERS
Best Doctoral Program in School Psychology, Best Counseling Degrees
of Program Graduates Became Licensed Psychologists in the Past 10 Years, School of Education Data
Best Education Graduate School in the Country, U.S. News & World Report
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- National Association of School Psychologists (NASP)
- Virginia Psychological Association (VPA)
- Society for Research in Child Development (SRCD)
- Society for Prevention Research
- Society for the Study of School Psychology (SSSP)
- International Society for Autism Research (INSAR)
We are APA approved as a Combined Program in Clinical and School Psychology, as well as a fully approved program in School Psychology by NASP.
Questions related to the program's accredited status should be directed to the Commission on Accreditation of the American Psychological Association at:
Office of Program Consultation and Accreditation
American Psychological Association
750 1st Street NE
Washington, DC 20002
Email: [email protected]rg
Valerie Adams-Bass Assistant Professor of EducationJulia Blodgett Clinical Assistant ProfessorJessika H. Bottiani Assistant Professor of Education, Research FacultyCatherine P. Bradshaw Professor, Associate Dean for Research & Faculty DevelopmentDewey Cornell Professor of EducationJason T. Downer Professor of Education, Program Area Director, Clinical and School Psychology, Director, CASTLMichael Lyons Assistant Professor of EducationMicah Mazurek Novartis U.S. Foundation Professor of EducationHeather McDaniel Research Assistant ProfessorRose Nevill Research Assistant Professor of Education, Director of the UVA Autism Research CoreAmanda Nguyen Assistant ProfessorRobert C. Pianta Dean , Batten Bicentennial Professor of Early Childhood Education, Founding Director, Center for Advanced Study of Teaching and LearningErica Fornaris Rouch Research Assistant Professor of EducationAntoinette R. Thomas Associate ProfessorPatrick H. Tolan Charles S. Robb Professor of Education, Director Emeritus, Youth-Nex | The UVA Center to Promote Effective Youth DevelopmentElena Tuerk Clinical Psychologist, LecturerPeter W. Tuerk Director, Sheila C. Johnson Center, Professor of Education, General FacultyAmanda P. Williford Batten Bicentennial Professor of Early Childhood Education, Associate Director for Early Childhood Education, CASTLSarah Wymer Clinical Psychology Post-doctoral FellowMatthew Yoder Director of Psychological Services, Sheila C. Johnson Center, Associate Professor