Youth-Nex | The UVA Center to Promote Effective Youth Development
Youth-Nex is a trans-disciplinary center focusing on three core domains: a) Out-of-School Time; b) Educational Systems: Middle School; and c) Community Engagement: Civic and Political (learn more in our about page). Central to its work is a translational approach to scholarship and innovation which aims to expand and apply the science of Positive Youth Development to enhance the strengths of youth and to prevent developmental risk such as violence; physical and mental health issues; substance abuse and school failure. View the Youth-Nex brochure.
Interested in our most up to date news? Follow us on social media.
What's New at Youth-Nex
Panel: Understanding the Well-Being of LGBTQI+ Populations
Watch the video and download the slide deck from this panel discussion about the recent NASEM consensus report.Learn More
Youth-Nex Blog: Teachers Can Apply Psychology to Teach Students
Read more suggestions on how white, middle class teachers can apply psychology to teach students who are different from them.Read More
- Youth-Nex Profile: Post-doc Kimalee Dickerson Leads Local Youth Action Lab into Successful 2nd Year
- Q&A: Supporting Teens as They Navigate Going Back To School
- Coming Out of COVID: Youth Discuss Life During and Their Hopes for After the Pandemic
- Coming Out of COVID: Community Advocates Weigh In On Supporting Youth
- Coming Out of COVID: How to Best Support Youth Mental Health
- Coming Out of COVID: Medical Doctors Working with Youth Share Recommendations as Vaccinations Continue
- What Immigrant Youth Can Teach Us About School, Post-COVID
- Youth-Nex Professors Support Researchers by Leading New Methods Consultancy
- Studying Hope, Resilience, and Action in Black and Latinx Adolescent Girls
- 4 Things Your Teen (or Pre-Teen) Needs
Youth-Nex's 10th Anniversary Reception
History & Future of Youth-Nex
Nancy Duetsch, Director of Youth-Nex, gives opening remarks on the history of the center and shares more on its future endeavors.
Importance of Youth Involvement
Youth-Nex invited youth to participate in the celebration and honor their contributions to the center's success.
The Program Director for Teen Empowerment attended and represents community leaders we've collaborated with to promote effective youth development.
Supporting a Variety of Faculty Roles
Youth-Nex is committed to the training pipeline for faculty, supporting all faculty levels and types including post-docs, research assistant professors and more!
Student Support in a Multidisciplinary Center
Youth-Nex works with and supports graduate students from a variety of backgrounds in education, psychology, and clinical sciences.
A Sustaining Commitment to the Center
Patrick Tolan is the Founding Director of Youth-Nex, pictured with Catherine Bradshaw and Jennifer Hunter who support the work of Youth-Nex.