Youth-Nex | The UVA Center to Promote Effective Youth Development
Youth-Nex is a trans-disciplinary center focusing on three core domains: a) Out-of-School Time; b) Educational Systems: Middle School; and c) Community Engagement: Civic and Political (learn more in our about page). Central to its work is a translational approach to scholarship and innovation which aims to expand and apply the science of Positive Youth Development to enhance the strengths of youth and to prevent developmental risk such as violence; physical and mental health issues; substance abuse and school failure. View the Youth-Nex brochure.
Interested in our most up to date news? Follow us on social media.
What's New at Youth-Nex
Youth-Nex Vlog: Youth Mental Health & Reshaping Our Culture
New vlog about mental health changes in the pandemic and how we can support youth going forward.Read More
Youth-Nex's 8th Conference
Save the date for this free conference on Youth Voice & Agency during October 25-26, 2022 in Charlottesville, VA!Learn More
- In Its 25th Year, UVA Mentoring Program Thrives, Continues Legacy of Impact for Middle School Girls
- Pioneering The Notion of Positive Youth Development
- Class of 2022: Emma Otremba
- When Middle Schoolers Collaborate in Language Diverse Classrooms, All Students Benefit
- Chris Chang-Bacon Awarded for Research on Interrupted Education
- National Mentoring Month: New Research Roundup
- Building Compassionate Schools in Charlottesville
- Improving Refugees’ Mental Health Around the World
- UVA Professors Climb in Rankings of Nation’s Most Influential Education Scholars
- Youth-Nex Profile: Post-doc Kimalee Dickerson Leads Local Youth Action Lab into Successful 2nd Year
These positions are posted and managed by Youth-Nex.Postdoctoral Research Associate, Youth Action Lab Postdoctoral Research Associate School-Based Prevention Programming Research Specialist Intermediate Seasonal On-site Classroom Observer (Baltimore, MD) (Staff Wage)
Youth-Nex's 10th Anniversary Reception
History & Future of Youth-Nex
Nancy Deutsch, Director of Youth-Nex, gives opening remarks on the history of the center and shares more on its future endeavors.
Importance of Youth Involvement
Youth-Nex invited youth to participate in the celebration and honor their contributions to the center's success.
The Program Director for Teen Empowerment attended and represents community leaders we've collaborated with to promote effective youth development.
Supporting a Variety of Faculty Roles
Youth-Nex is committed to the training pipeline for faculty, supporting all faculty levels and types including post-docs, research assistant professors and more!
Student Support in a Multidisciplinary Center
Youth-Nex works with and supports graduate students from a variety of backgrounds in education, psychology, and clinical sciences.
A Sustaining Commitment to the Center
Patrick Tolan is the Founding Director of Youth-Nex, pictured with Catherine Bradshaw and Jennifer Hunter who support the work of Youth-Nex.