Youth-Nex | The UVA Center to Promote Effective Youth Development
Youth-Nex is a trans-disciplinary center focusing on three core domains: a) Out-of-School Time; b) Educational Systems: Middle School; and c) Community Engagement: Civic and Political (learn more in our about page). Central to its work is a translational approach to scholarship and innovation which aims to expand and apply the science of Positive Youth Development to enhance the strengths of youth and to prevent developmental risk such as violence; physical and mental health issues; substance abuse and school failure. View the Youth-Nex brochure.
Interested in our most up to date news? Follow us on social media.
What's New at Youth-Nex
Youth-Nex Blog: Youth Action Lab Using YPAR Framework
Students from the Youth Action Lab Youth Action Lab reflect on leading and learning with local youth in this new post!Read More
Youth-Speak Website: New Video Resouorce for Adults
The Youth-Speak blog, created by youth for youth, is transferred into a new resource website for adults!Learn More
- Youth-Nex Professors Support Researchers by Leading New Methods Consultancy
- Studying Hope, Resilience, and Action in Black and Latinx Adolescent Girls
- 4 Things Your Teen (or Pre-Teen) Needs
- Youth-Nex Faculty Profile: 5 Questions with Prof. Smith
- Doctoral Students Win Award for Creating Writing Group for Black Scholars at UVA
- Clinical-School Psychology Grad Student Lands Equity Fellowship
- MEDIA ALERT: UVA Launches Cville Education Equity Website with Resources and Tools to Get and Give Help
- Back to School, with Equity in Mind
- Youth-Nex Researchers Awarded Mentoring Grant from WTG Foundation
- Is Your Adolescent Getting Enough Sleep? 3 Things Every Parent Should Know
Youth-Nex's 10th Anniversary Reception
History & Future of Youth-Nex
Nancy Duetsch, Director of Youth-Nex, gives opening remarks on the history of the center and shares more on its future endeavors.
Importance of Youth Involvement
Youth-Nex invited youth to participate in the celebration and honor their contributions to the center's success.
The Program Director for Teen Empowerment attended and represents community leaders we've collaborated with to promote effective youth development.
Supporting a Variety of Faculty Roles
Youth-Nex is committed to the training pipeline for faculty, supporting all faculty levels and types including post-docs, research assistant professors and more!
Student Support in a Multidisciplinary Center
Youth-Nex works with and supports graduate students from a variety of backgrounds in education, psychology, and clinical sciences.
A Sustaining Commitment to the Center
Patrick Tolan is the Founding Director of Youth-Nex, pictured with Catherine Bradshaw and Jennifer Hunter who support the work of Youth-Nex.