Special Education: B.S.Ed. - Bachelor of Science in Education
Teaching special education is a truly rewarding career that is in high demand. Our top-ranked special education program prepares you to be the knowledgeable, compassionate classroom advocate that students with disabilities need.
At a Glance
B.S.Ed. - Bachelor of Science in Education
in Special Education
Initial licensure in Virginia with Special Education – General Curriculum K-12 endorsement
Best Suited To
Current UVA undergraduates or transfer students from another institution.
- Full Time
4 years (or 2 academic years after admission into the program)
- Internal to UVA: February 1
- External transfers from other institutions: March 1
About This Program
Our programs reflect the depth of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion as we work together with our students toward actualizing a more just society. By drawing upon the expertise of experienced educators and community partners, we prepare teacher candidates to honor and grow the assets and resources that students bring to classrooms and schools. We lead with integrity, committed to student, family, and community success and well-being. We are equity-oriented teacher educators, collaborators, and innovators.
- This clinically based program prepares you to teach students with mild to moderate disabilities in grades K-12, combining intensive classroom study with significant time spent applying your knowledge in real classrooms.
- This program offers a more affordable option to becoming a special education teacher.
- Students must transfer into this program and are invited to apply to this program as a first- or second-year student at UVA or if transferring from another institution.
- Applicants must be on track to complete the teacher education general studies requirements, which are more specific than the general studies requirements from the College of Arts and Sciences or the School of Education and Human Development.
- Although you do not need to have all requirements done in advance, it is recommended you are nearly finished with these requirements if you are a second-year student applying to join us for your third year.
- Graduates from this program are eligible for guaranteed admission to select UVA master’s programs for up to five years after graduation.