Early Childhood Education: B.S.Ed. - Bachelor of Science in Education
Are you passionate about making a difference in the lives of students? Early childhood teachers have the opportunity to guide preK-3rd grade students during one of the most critical periods of their development.
At a Glance
B.S.Ed. - Bachelor of Science in Education
in Early Childhood Education
Initial licensure in Virginia with Early/Primary preK-3 endorsement
Best Suited To
Current UVA undergraduates or transfer students from another institution.
- Full Time
4 years (or 2 academic years after admission into the program)
- Internal to UVA: February 1
- External transfers from other institutions: March 1
About This Program
Our programs reflect the depth of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion as we work together with our students toward actualizing a more just society. By drawing upon the expertise of experienced educators and community partners, we prepare teacher candidates to honor and grow the assets and resources that students bring to classrooms and schools. We lead with integrity, committed to student, family, and community success and well-being. We are equity-oriented teacher educators, collaborators, and innovators.
- This top-ranked early childhood program combines in-depth instruction on principles of teaching and learning with significant time spent in real classrooms applying your knowledge.
- In four years, students can earn a teaching license and graduate prepared to lead their own preK-3rd grade classroom, offering a more affordable pathway to becoming a teacher in Virginia.
- Students must transfer into this program and are invited to apply to this program as a first- or second-year student at UVA or if transferring from another institution.
- Applicants must be on track to complete the teacher education general studies requirements, which are more specific than the general studies requirements from the College of Arts and Sciences or the School of Education and Human Development.
- Although you do not need to have all requirements done in advance, it is recommended you are nearly finished with these requirements if you are a second-year student applying to join us for your third year.
- Graduates from this program are eligible for guaranteed admission to select UVA master’s programs for up to five years after graduation.