Autism Spectrum Services
Supporting individuals and families in navigating the challenges presented by autism spectrum disorders.
Specialty Services for Autism
Diagnostic Assessments for ASD: We provide evaluations for toddlers, children, and adolescents who are thought to possibly have autism spectrum disorder. Assessments provide relevant diagnoses as well as recommendations for intervention and educational/vocational planning.
Assessments for Treatment Planning: These evaluations are designed for children/adolescents who already have been diagnosed with ASD. Our clinicians complete cognitive, educational, behavioral, and/or emotional assessments to make recommendations for intervention and educational/vocational planning.
Individual & Family Therapy for Youth With ASD
Our clinicians provide therapy services for children and adolescents with autism. Telehealth services may be available. Therapists work with both the child and the child’s caregivers, and for young children, the focus is on parent-led strategies. Therapy may address:
- Challenging behavior (tantrums, noncompliance)
- Social skills
- Executive functioning (attention, organization, goal setting)
- Emotional regulation
- Daily living skills (self-care, navigating the community)
RUBI Parent Training for Challenging Behavior
The evidence-based RUBI program is designed for caregivers of children with ASD up to age 10. Caregivers meet one-on-one with a clinician for 11-16 weeks to learn strategies for increasing positive behavior and reducing challenging behavior (tantrums, aggression, noncompliance). Telehealth available.
Consultation on School Supports for Children with Developmental Disorders
SJC clinicians with expertise in school supports for children with developmental disabilities (autism, intellectual disability, language delays, etc.) are available to consult with caregivers and school personnel about how to support their child in school. This includes consultation around:
- Increasing positive behavior in the classroom and decreasing challenging behavior
- Supporting your child’s academic skill acquisition in the classroom
- Boosting social engagement and peer connection at school
- Improving study skills (organization, planning) or self-care skills across school and home
- 504 Plans and Individualized Education Programs (IEP)
These appointments may occur in the clinic or via telehealth, and participation by caregivers and school personnel is encouraged.
Contact the Sheila C. Johnson Center
The Sheila C. Johnson Center for Clinical Services is a multidisciplinary clinic that provides personalized assessment and intervention services. Our mission is to deliver the highest quality science-based clinical services to the people of Charlottesville, the UVA community, Albemarle County, the Commonwealth of Virginia and beyond.
- (434) 924-7034
- Monday-Thursday: 8:30 am-5:30 pm; Friday: 8:30 am-5 pm