- Castleman, B.L, Deutschlander, D., and Lohner, G. (2020). "Pushing College Advising Forward: Experimental Evidence on Intensive Advising and College Success." National Education Working Paper Series No. 20,326.
- Meyer, K., Bird, K.A., and Castleman, B.L. (2020). "Stacking the Deck for Employment Success: Labor Market Returns to Stackable Credentials." National Education Working Paper Series No. 20,317.
- Bird, K.A., Castleman, B.L., and Lohner, G. (2020). "Negative Impacts From the Shift to Online Learning During the COVID-19 Crisis: Evidence from a Statewide Community College System." National Bureau of Economic Research Working Paper No. 20,299.
- Castleman, B.L., Murphy, F.X., Patterson, R.W., and Skimmyhorn, W.L. (2020) "Nudges Don't Work When the Benefits Are Ambiguous: Evidence from a High-Stakes Education Program." National Bureau of Economic Research Working Paper No. 20,109.
- Bird, K.A., Castleman, B.L., Fischer, B., and Skinner, B.T. (2020). "Who Should Re-enroll in College? The Academic and Labor Market Profile of Adults with Substantial College Credits But No Degree." National Education Working Paper Series No. 20,240.
- Sullivan, Z., Castleman, B.L., and Bettinger, E. (2019). "College Advising at a National Scale: Experimental Evidence from the CollegePoint initiative." National Education Working Paper Series No. 19,123.
- Bird, K.A., Castleman, B.L., Denning, J.D., Goodman, J., and Lamberton, C. (2019). “Nudging At Scale: Experimental Evidence From FAFSA Completion Campaigns. "National Bureau of Economic Research Working Paper No. 26,158.
- Castleman, B.L., Murphy, F.X., and Skimmyhorn, W. (2019). Marching Across Generations? An Analysis Of The Benefits Transfer Provision Of The Post-9/11 GI Bill. Journal of Human Capital, 13(3): 410-433.
- Barr, A.C., Bird, K.A., and Castleman, B.L. (2019). "The Effect of Reduced Student Loan Borrowing on Academic Performance and Default: Evidence from a Loan Counseling Experiment." National Education Working Paper Series No. 19,89.
- Castleman, B.L., Long, B.T., & Mabel, Z.A. (2018). Can Financial Aid Help to Address the Growing Need for STEM Education? The Effects of Need-Based Grants on the Completion of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math Courses and Degrees. Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, 37(1): 136-166.
- Castleman, B.L., and Page, L.C. (2017). Parental Influences on Postsecondary Decision-Making: Evidence from a Text Messaging Experiment. Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis, 39(2): 361-377.
- Castleman, B.L., & Long, B.T. (2016). Looking Beyond Enrollment: The Causal Effect Of Need-Based Grants On College Access, Persistence, And Graduation. Journal of Labor Economics, 34(4): 1023-1073.
- Castleman, B.L., & Page, L.C. (2015). Summer Nudging: Can Personalized Text Messages And Peer Mentor Outreach Increase College Going Among Low-Income High School Graduates? Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 115: 144-160.
Recorded Seminars and Interviews
George Washington University’s FinLit Talks: Interviews with Financial Literacy Thought Leaders
In this interview with George Washington University's Annamaria Lusardi, I discuss the potential for behavioral nudge strategies to improve financial literacy and postsecondary outcomes and to reduce educational inequality.
TEDxUVA’s 2016 Sights Unseen conference
In this video, I gave a TED talk about how to leverage behavioral insights to design low-come, scalable solutions that addresses pressing policy problems at TEDxUVA.
In this video, I testified at the U.S. House of Representatives Labor-HHS-Education Subcommittee oversight hearing on Closing the Achievement Gap in Higher Education. I briefed the Committee on low-cost strategies to improve college persistence and success.
Interview with Gov Innovator Blog About Improving Education Outcomes through Innovative Low-Cost Interventions
In this audio, I discuss how school district leaders, or other state and local education leaders, can strengthen student outcomes through innovative low-cost interventions, such as through text messages. I also discuss my research which focuses on how behavioral economics and social psychology can improve college access and other measures of success for low-income students.
Ed Policy Seminar at University of Virginia
This talk was entitled "Prompts, Personalization, and Pay-offs: Using Behavioral Nudges to Help Students Navigate Complex Postsecondary Decisions," where I discussed new research that explores innovative strategies to help students and their families navigate complex decisions about postsecondary education.
Interview with Curry School of Education on College Access and Success
In this video I discuss why the college admission and enrollment process is such a hot topic and some of the new research I’m working on.
- Virginia Education Science Training (VEST) Predoctoral Fellowships
- Text Message Interventions to Increase Rural Students' College Matriculation and Success
- Experimental Evaluations of Intensive College Advising Organizations
- Virtual College Advising for High-Achieving, Low-Income Students
- Nudging Students to Make Informed Student Loan Borrowing Decisions
- Nudges to the Finish Line: Experimental Interventions to Prevent Late College Departure
- Investigating the Scalability of Personalized Text Message Campaigns
- Nudges to the Finish Line: Experimental Interventions to Prevent Late College Departure
- Virginia Education Science Training (VEST) Program for Post-Doctoral Fellows
- Texting Campaign Focused on College Affordability Reaches Over .5 Million Students
- National Nudge Campaign Prompting Low-Income/First-Generation Students to Complete FAFSA Works
- Faculty Earn Top Honors
- Faculty Kudos
- New UVA Research Lab Develops Scalable Strategies to Tackle Large Societal Problems
- UVA's Castleman, Doleac Launch Interactive Program to Reduce Recidivism
- Nine UVA Education Faculty, 3 Alumni Named to Influential Scholars List
- EdPolicyWorks Researchers Present New Work at 2016 APPAM
- How to Reach People with Better Delivery and Design of Education News
- Ben Castleman: Learn to Ad - Madison Avenue Strategies to Strengthen School Communication
- UVA Professor Leads First Lady's Campaign Aimed at Increasing College Completion
- Ed Policy Grad Student Pens Blog Post About Higher Ed Access
- Ed Policy Ph.D Alumna Reflects on Her Time at Curry and in the MPP Dual Degree Program
- EdPolicyWorks Researchers Led Over 21 Key Presentations at AEFP
- Prof. Castleman: Big Data, Meet Behavioral Science
- TEDxUVA Features Prof. Castleman and Others From the Batten School
- Only UVA Faculty Win IES Grant Awards in Both PreK and Higher Education
- Nine Curry Faculty Named in 2016 Edu-Scholar Rankings, 2 In The Top 20
- Faculty in Print 2015
- Prof. Castleman: This Holiday Season, Nudge like the Private Sector Taught You
- Curry Researcher’s Book Offers Low-Cost Strategies for Boosting Education
- EdPolicyWorks Researchers Lead Over 30 Top Presentations at APPAM
- Ben Castleman: Smartphones, A Nudger’s Best or Worst Friend?
- Prof. Castleman: A Banner Year for Behavioral Science and Policy
- Prof. Castleman: Student Loans, No Simple Nudge
- Prof. Castleman: Knowing When to Nudge in Education
- EdPolicyWorks Researchers Represent Over 27 Presenting Roles at AEFP
- EdPolicyWorks Researchers Author over 30 Key Presentations at APPAM
- Curry Faculty and Students Head to AERA
- Prof. Castleman Enhances the Mentorship Model at EdPolicyWorks
- Prof. Castleman Attends White House Summit on College Access Plan
- Castleman's Up Next Campaign Cited by Politico
- Researchers at EdPolicyWorks Lead Key Presentations at APPAM 2017
- Expanded "Nudge" Program for Student Success Draws National Interest
- Q&A: Castleman Seeks to Nudge First-Generation Students Over the Finish Line
- Nine UVA Scholars Ranked in 2019 Edu-Scholar Public Influence Rankings
- New UVA-Nudge4 Solutions Initiative Aims to Improve Educational and Employment Outcomes in Virginia, Tennessee, and Indiana
- University's New Public Service Awards Highlight Faculty Outreach
- White House Honors Castleman for Early Career Accomplishments
- Back-To-School Tools for Those Who Support Students
- UVA Education Scholars Rise in 2020 Edu-Scholar Public Influence Rankings
- New Dashboard Helps Fill Medical Workforce Gaps In VA Areas Hard-Hit By COVID-19
- Researchers Shed Light on Rewards of ‘Credential Stacking’
- Ten UVA Scholars Ranked in 2021 EDU-Scholar Public Influence Rankings
- The Best Way To Combat 'Summer Melt' Is With A 'Nudge'
- The Downside of Reduced Student Borrowing
- STUDY: LESS borrowing tied to LESS success in and out of college
- ‘Nudging’ Students To College Matriculation
- Op-Ed: A Response to “Texting Nudges Harm Degree Completion”
- How effective are nudge messages for students?
- Can virtual advising shift where students go to college? Yes, but only a bit.
- Can ‘Microscholarships’ Steer Student Behavior?
- Behavioral science and ‘nudging’ research can help students succeed in classes suddenly moved online