Financial Aid & Resources

The University of Virginia and the School of Education and Human Development make financial support for our students a priority. There are many programs for different types of students and their needs.

Below is a list of information on financial aid options and support through UVA and the UVA School of Education and Human Development, and resources available to students, educators, military personnel, and UVA employees.


If you have questions about the charges in your student account, paying your charges, or federal financial aid, please contact UVA Student Financial Services at or 434-982-6000.

If you have received financial aid from your UVA School of Education and Human Development department and have questions, please contact your department administrator.

If you are a prospective student seeking more information about UVA School of Education and Human Development programs, please contact us at

More Financial Aid Details

  • Financial Aid for Undergraduates

    All new and continuing undergraduates at the University of Virginia may be eligible for federal loans, grants, scholarships, work study and other categories of need-based financial aid. We encourage you to submit your application for financial aid no later than the first of March, so that the Office of Student Financial Services can provide you with an estimate of your eligibility for the upcoming academic year. To determine your eligibility and procedures for applying for aid, visit the website of UVA's Student Financial Services. Scholarship and fellowship opportunities for undergraduates can be found on the website of UVA's Center for Undergraduate Excellence.

  • Financial Aid for Master's & Education Specialist Students

    Financial aid options available to M.Ed., M.T.,and Ed.S. students include loans and federal work-study options described on the website for Student Financial Services. For a listing of specific options available to those completing teacher licensure programs, please visit the latest version of the Financial Resources for Teacher Ed Students page. At the school and departmental levels, master’s and education specialist students are encouraged to speak to their advisors and principal investigators (PIs) regarding potential paid positions on grant-funded projects at the School of Education and Human Development and throughout the University.

  • Financial Aid for Doctoral Students

    Doctoral students who meet eligibility requirements are eligible for loans and federal work-study options. Full-time on-Grounds students may also qualify for assistantships and fellowships through the UVA School of Education and Human Development. To be considered for this funding, applicants must complete questions specific to departmental aid within the online application.

    Financial support packages, which may include a combination of fellowship funding, bi-weekly pay, tuition remission/adjustment, and health insurance, are decided at various administrative levels. Heads of these administrative groups will notify all recipients following funding and placement decisions during the spring of each academic year. Funding support may last up to four years.

    Continuing doctoral students who hold School of Education and Human Development graduate assistantships or fellowships should notify their assistantship supervisor, committee chair, and/or program area chair if they wish to be considered for the same or a different graduate assistantship or fellowship for the upcoming academic year. Continuing doctoral students who have not yet been awarded an assistantship or fellowship, but wish to be considered for the following academic year, should speak to their doctoral committee chair and members, department chairs, or program area heads regarding their department procedure for applying for the following year’s available assistantships and fellowship funding. Procedures among departments may vary, as will available positions and funding.

    Doctoral students who do not receive financial aid packages in the form of graduate assistantships or fellowships are encouraged to speak to their program or committee chairs and members, class instructors, as well as the principal investigators (PIs) regarding potential paid positions on grant-funded projects ongoing at the School of Education and Human Development and throughout the University.

  • The School of Education and Human Development Foundation Awards

    Once enrolled in the School of Education and Human Development, students are eligible for Foundation scholarships and awards. The majority of Foundation scholarships are based on both merit and financial need. Descriptions and criteria for Foundation scholarships and awards may be found through the Foundation’s website.

    For more specific information, please see the Foundation Awards and Scholarships page.

  • Discounted Tuition for PreK-12 Educators

    The UVA School of Education and Human Development grants reduced tuition rates to eligible preK-12 educators according to the eligibility guidelines on the Special Tuition Application for PreK-12 Educators. Note that reduced tuition is applicable to credit-bearing courses only, not to research credits. The reduced tuition rate can be applied to up to six credits of coursework per semester.

  • Tuition Remission

    As part of teaching and research graduate assistantship award packages, qualifying doctoral students may receive tuition remission. Tuition remission provides for full payment of in-state tuition and fees during the academic year. Only doctoral students holding at least a half-time (10 hours per week) qualifying assistantship may be eligible for tuition remission in the term(s) in which they are employed.

  • Tuition Adjustment (out-of-state students)

    Individual departments select a limited number of qualifying out-of-state doctoral students to receive tuition adjustments, which pay the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition. To be eligible for consideration, out-of-state doctoral students must be employed in a significant academic capacity at the University of Virginia and earn at least $5,000 in a graduate research and/or teaching assistantship during the year. Individual departments will determine students’ level of enrollment, verify that students meet the minimum required earnings, and award the tuition adjustments.

  • Graduate Student Health Insurance Subsidy

    The University of Virginia covers the full cost of single-coverage premium for qualifying graduate students and this subsidy may be applied toward the purchase of a single-student, spousal, or family plan from the University’s graduate student health insurance provider. Qualifying students must earn at least $5,000 during the academic year through an appointment as a graduate research assistant (GRA) and/or graduate teaching assistant (GTA). Hourly and work-study assignments do not qualify students for the health insurance subsidy.

  • Resources for Educators

    Educators have several resources available to help them pay for their continued education.

  • Resources for UVA Employees

    The UVA School of Education and Human Development offers education benefits, above the $5,200 centrally funded benefit, to eligible UVa employees enrolled in school of education graduate programs. Employees must be enrolled as graduate degree or non-degree students in order to be eligible for the benefit. Additional information about the benefit can be found on School of Education and Human Development Education Benefits homepage.

  • Resources for Military Personnel

    The Office of Student Financial Services works to ensure that veterans, family members of veterans, and active military personnel receive the educational benefits for which they are eligible. Resources include information about using veteran benefitsUVa ROTC programs, and using active military tuition assistance.

  • Tax Information

    Students and parents may be eligible for education tax benefits, including the American Opportunity Credit, Lifetime Learning Credit, Tuition & Fees Deduction, and Student Loan Interest Deduction. The University will report the total amount billed to students via the 1098-T form. Students can find information about the taxability of scholarships and information for non-resident aliens through Student Financial Services.