Charlottesville Freedom School
What We Do
Freedom Schools, an initiative of the Children’s Defense Fund, are rooted in the 1964 Mississippi Freedom Summer project.
Replicated in locations across the country, Freedom Schools offer a 6-week summer program aimed at developing K-12 students literacy skills through culturally relevant practices, community engagement, and civic engagement.
Contact: [email protected]
Email [email protected] to become a future Harambee reader, volunteer, apply to be a servant leader intern, or donate.
- A Day in the CDF Freedom Schools Program
- Vinegar Hill Magazine: Charlottesville Freedom School
- Video: Dr. Kristal Moore Clemons presents on CDF Freedom Schools & Culturally Relevant Pedagogy
- Blog Post: Voting, a Video Blog from a Charlottesville Freedom School Scholar
- Daily Progress: Freedom School gave area students a voice on issues this summer
Youth-Nex is a trans-disciplinary center with a translational approach to scholarship and innovation that is central to its work.
Center for Race and Public Education in the South
We conduct and support research and scholarship on issues that lie at the intersection of race, education and schooling in the southern United States.