Meeting Agenda January 8, 2021
UVA K-12 Advisory Council Agenda
Friday, January 8, 2021
Opening-- Stewart Roberson, UVA K-12 Advisory Council, Chair
- Zoom Meeting Video Recording
- PowerPoint Presentation
- Introduction of Council Members
- Introduction of New Members
- Mission of the UVA K-12 Advisory Council
- 2020-21 Council Theme: “Realizing Equity” and an Overview of the Year’s Work Plan
- Today’s Emphases - Reimagining Schools: Redefining public education and its delivery through the global pandemic; an opportunity to imagine the future of public education since many inequities have yet to be resolved
Dean’s Welcome and Comments -- Bob Pianta, Dean, UVA School of Education and Human Development and
Tim Konold, Professor and Director of the Research, Statistics, and Evaluation program.
Facilitated by Phyllis Pajardo, Fairfax City Public Schools
The Rise of Homeschooling and Telecommuting: The Implications for Future Educational Service Delivery- Hamilton Lombard, Demographer, UVA Weldon Cooper Center for Public Service
- What have you learned/perceived from today’s presentation and/or from your “pandemic experiences” as you consider how you and your district are responding to today’s equity challenges and are preparing to leverage them as opportunities for the future?
- Specifically, what is your own assessment of and how you are addressing/seeking to close the increasingly exacerbated equity gaps?
- The term “market share” has been mentioned as a concept for public school districts to be concerned with for the future as a result of the decision making by many parents. Equity issues clearly arise through the decisions to home school, to move into private education, or to seek more permanent virtual options. How may you position your district to sustain/regain market share if it is threatened?
- What parts of “normal” are worth rushing back to? What are some practices of the past that you wouldn’t expect to continue?
- When you consider what has been shared by the students and by Hamilton Lombard, how has your thinking changed?
Share the learnings from the table talks with the full group in a summary fashion; all input will be available on the website
Pam Tucker, SCOPE Director and Jane Cook, Education & Outreach Program Coordinator
VASCD Micro-credentials for Teachers, Laurie McCullough
11:55 am Wrap-up
12:00 pm Adjourn
Next meeting: April 9, 2021
2021-22 UVA K-12 Advisory Council Dates:
- Friday, October 8, 2021
- Friday, January 7, 2022
- Friday, April 22, 2022
Resource articles for K12AC meeting (Jan 8, 2021)
- Enrollment decline at Virginia public schools could have impact on state funding | Virginia | thecentersquare.com
- Virginia schools plan gradual reopening as evidence of online learning gap piles up |The Washington Post
- Kristen Amundson column: Parents fear kids aren’t learning. They’re right. | Columnists | Richmond.com
- Joe Clement and Matt Miles column: Not good enough for our kids| Richmond Times-Dispatch
- Now we have proof that kids are paying the price of Covid | CNN
- Public Schools Face Funding ‘Death Spiral’ as Enrollment Drops | NY Times
- Are Homeschooling and Telecommuting Here to Stay? | UVA Today
- UVA panel focuses on lasting effects of COVID-19 pandemic on education | NBC29