Study of Early Education – Louisiana
In 2012, Louisiana passed the Early Childhood Education Act (known as Act 3), which aimed to overhaul the state’s fragmented ECE landscape into a cohesive system that provides all young children with access to high-quality early childhood education. At the heart of this effort was a unique Quality Rating and Improvement System (QRIS). Louisiana’s QRIS is unique in that participation is required for all sites receiving public funds and that ratings for each site are based solely on detailed data collected in every classroom using a widely used observational measure of teacher-child interactions. To support quality improvement, Louisiana has also introduced a variety of policies and initiatives aimed at supporting early educators to improve high quality early learning opportunities.
Through a long-standing research practice partnership with the Early Childhood Office in the Louisiana Department of Education (LDOE), our team at UVA and UCLA is working to better understand the impact of Louisiana’s QRIS and other reform efforts on creating system-wide ECE improvement. As part of the SEE-LA study and our partnership, we have fielded large-scale ECE workforce surveys, conducted validation studies examining the link between QRIS ratings and child outcomes, and explored how Louisiana families access early learning opportunities. Our current projects focus on the ECE workforce. We are documenting the links between teachers’ well-being and children’s learning in early childhood classrooms. In our most recent project, we are investigating new strategies for supporting child care workers in completing a newly-required credential focused on improved interactions.
Reports and Policy Briefs
- Child Care Leaders' Experiences with COVID-19: First Findings from the Study of Early Education in Louisiana
- Systemwide Changes in the Quality of Early Childhood Education: Trends in Louisiana from 2015-16 to 2018-19
- The Early Childhood Education Workforce in Louisiana: Findings from the 2018 Early Childhood Workforce Survey in Jefferson and Rapides Parishes
- The Early Childhood Education Workforce in Rapides Parish, Louisiana: Findings from the 2018 Early Childhood Workforce Survey
- The Early Childhood Education Workforce in Jefferson Parish, Louisiana: Findings from the 2018 Early Childhood Workforce Survey
- Network Leader Survey Report
- Building Buy-In: Teacher and Leader Views on a Statewide Effort to Improve Teacher-Child Interactions
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
- Are Parents’ Ratings and Satisfaction With Preschools Related to Program Features?
- Are there differences in parents' preferences and search processes across preschool types? Evidence from Louisiana
- Measuring the quality of teacher–child interactions at scale: Comparing research-based and state observation approaches
In the News
- This Observation Tool Is Helping Teachers Improve Their Interactions with Children
- UVA Researchers Play Key Role in Two States’ Efforts to Expand Quality Early Childhood Education
- With a Kindergarten Teacher’s Perspective, Professor Pushes Early Childhood Education