McGuffey Reading Services offers virtual reading programs to provide intervention for students in first grade through middle school. Students can build their skills and confidence in a fun, supportive online environment.
Spring Dates: January 24-April 1, 2022
Registration is closed for Spring 2022. Please contact Lauren Hauser ([email protected]) to join the mailing list for summer.
Our programs are designed for school-age children in need of intervention to either maintain their literacy skills or work to build their literacy skills. Our upcoming spring program involves two sessions per week. This program is designed to meet the needs, and build on the strengths, of students in Rising First through Middle School grades who may have struggled along their literacy path.
- Students work one-on-one with teachers to develop an instructional program to best meet the needs of their students.
- Our lessons follow a structured literacy format and can include the following components based on individual needs: 1) systematic teaching of phonemic awareness, phonics/decoding, and spelling to build word recognition; 2) targeted fluency instruction to build reading rate and prosody; 3) advanced decoding and spelling examining syllables and meaning parts (including affixes and word roots); 4) comprehension instruction to include both background knowledge/vocabulary and strategy use; and 5) writing instruction for application and/or for supporting comprehension.
- All instructional activities are based on student assessed needs and strengths.
- Tutoring will occur two times per week and each session lasts an average of 45 minutes.
- The program begins on January 24 and ends on April 1, 2022, with optional add-on mini session from April 11th-29th.
- For virtual tutoring, families will have day and time options to choose from.
- Virtual tutoring will take place over Zoom; students need a device to access the internet as well as a stable connection. No special software is required.
- Although each student will work independently with their teacher, an adult should be available in the home during each session.
- In-person tutoring will take place Mondays and Wednesdays in Bavaro hall at the University of Virginia. The two time options are 3:30 pm and 4:35 pm.
- Download, print and complete the Reading Program Registration Form.
- Submit the completed Registration Form by January 11, 2022. The program may fill prior to that date, so early registration is best. You can mail or fax your registration using the contact info on the form, or you may email it to April Swain: [email protected]. Note: Please do not use this address for general communication. Instead, please contact Lauren at: [email protected]
- When you send your registration form, please also complete our scheduling survey. Complete the survey ›
- The $525 fee (or $705 if including the add-on mini session) should be paid in full by January 11, 2022. A check can be made out to McGuffey Reading Services and mailed to the Sheila C. Johnson Center. Or, you may call 434-924-7034 and select Option 1 to pay by credit or debit card.
- We are able to offer some financial assistance for our reading programs. To be considered, you must submit a current 1040 along with your registration form. Assistance depends on available funding and family need.
For questions about fees or registration forms please contact McGuffey Reading Services at 434-924-9349 or the Sheila Johnson Center at 434-924-7034. You may also email Lauren Hauser: [email protected]