McGuffey Reading Services offers reading intervention for students in first grade through middle school. Students can build their skills and confidence in a fun, supportive environment.
Spring 2023 Dates: January 23rd - March 29th OR April 27th
Please contact Lauren Hauser (firstname.lastname@example.org) for registration information.
Our programs are designed for school-age children in need of intervention to either maintain their literacy skills or work to build their literacy skills. Our upcoming spring program involves two sessions per week in an in-person or a virtual format. This program is designed to meet the needs, and build on the strengths, of students in Rising First through Middle School grades who may have struggled along their literacy path.
- Students work one-on-one with teachers to develop an instructional program to best meet the needs of their students.
- Our lessons follow a structured literacy format and can include the following components based on individual needs: 1) systematic teaching of phonemic awareness, phonics/decoding, and spelling to build word recognition; 2) targeted fluency instruction to build reading rate and prosody; 3) advanced decoding and spelling examining syllables and meaning parts (including affixes and word roots); 4) comprehension instruction to include both background knowledge/vocabulary and strategy use; and 5) writing instruction for application and/or for supporting comprehension.
- All instructional activities are based on assessed needs and strengths.
- Tutoring will occur twice per week and each lesson lasts an average of 45-50 minutes.
- The program begins on January 23rd and ends on March 29th. Students will attend 18 lessons in total. An optional add-on mini session is available from April 10th-27th, brining the total number of lessons to 24.
- In-person tutoring will take place on Monday and Wednesday afternoons between 3:30 and 6:00 in Bavaro Hall at UVA.
- Virtual tutoring will take place on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons between 3:00 and 6:00 on Zoom.
- Students need a device to access Zoom and a stable internet connection.
- Although each student will work independently with their teacher, an adult should be available in the home during each session.
- We may also have some availability during the regular school day for families who homeschool.
- Email Lauren Hauser (email@example.com) to request the registration form and link to the scheduling survey.
- Submit the completed registration form by December 15th, 2022. The program may fill prior to that date, so early registration is best. You can mail or fax your registration using the contact info on the form, or you may email it to April Swain: AS7ST@hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu. Note: Please do not use this address for general communication. Instead, please contact Lauren at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- When you send your registration form, please also complete our scheduling survey.
- The $525 fee (or $705 fee if to include the optional add-on mini session) should be paid in full by January 9th, 2023. Refunds will not be issued after this date. A check can be made out to McGuffey Reading Services and mailed to the Sheila C. Johnson Center. Or, you may call 434-924-7034 and select Option 1 to pay by credit or debit card.
- We are able to offer some financial assistance for our reading programs. To be considered, you must submit a current 1040 along with your registration form. Assistance depends on available funding and family need.
For questions about fees or registration forms please contact McGuffey Reading Services at 434-924-9349 or the Sheila Johnson Center at 434-924-7034. You may also email Lauren Hauser: email@example.com