Summer Enrichment Program Application Process
The application for 2021 will be available on December 14, 2020 and is DUE by MIDNIGHT ON FEBRUARY 19, 2021. We highly recommend that you apply online. Once the 2021 Application goes live on December 14, 2020, please read all instructions carefully before you begin.
NOTE: Links open in the same window. Use your back arrow button to return to this screen after opening each link.
HOW TO APPLY ONLINE FOR 2021:
If anyone in your family attended SEP in recent years (including our Saturday program), then you have a Family Account. Simply log in to your existing account at https://curry.sites.virginia.edu/, change any information that is new (new applicant, phone number, address, etc.), and begin a new Summer application.
If you have not established a Family Account before, please follow the instructions below:
Create Family Account
Establish your user id (primary email address) and password. Please provide a parent/guardian email address (all SEP communications will be sent to this email address) which we can use to communicate with the parent or guardian of the child or children who will be applying to SEP. Do not use the email address of the student who is applying. Establish a password. Please make a note of this password, and the primary email address you submitted so that you will be able to access this account later. After you have created the Family Account, you will have the opportunity to add one or more children to this account.
Add the parents’/guardians' names and address to the next screen (mandatory). You will only need to type this information once. As you add children to your account, you will not have to retype any demographic information. You will, however be able to edit demographic information at any time as needed.
Add One or More Children
Add one child at a time, with their name, nickname if they have one, their date of birth, and gender. Indicate whether the child’s primary home address is with Parent 1 and/or Parent 2 (this is important if the parents do not reside in the same household.)
This page will list the children you have added to your account, and you can continue to add children from this page by clicking “Add Child.” When the child’s name has been added, click on the program that the child is applying to. We have two programs: Saturday and Summer. Chose Summer, and you will be taken to the “Summer Student Home” page.
Summer Student Home
Here you will see four icons:
- The Application
- The Teacher Recommendation
- Upload the applicant’s most recent report card
- The Application Fee payment link
Click to open the Application. It will ask:
- The name of the child’s school and whether it is a public or private school or homeschool.
- The grade the child is in CURRENTLY. Once you have selected your child's current grade level, the course titles for that level will appear on the page.
- Choose which Session the child would like to attend or rank 2 or more Sessions if they are flexible about which Session they wish to attend. Choose “cannot attend” for any Session the child absolutely cannot attend.
- Choose courses the child would like to take. You will see the titles of all courses offered at this child’s grade level. Click on the title to read a description of that class. You should assign each class a priority level (choice 1, choice 2, etc.) We try to place each child in their first or second choice of class. However, if certain courses are very popular, or if we must cancel a course for any reason, we may offer them admission to a class that is not their first or second choice. You will have the opportunity to accept or decline the offer. It is imperative that your child rank all courses.
- Three Interesting Things: these should be written by the student (parents: please don't write these) - these 'interesting things' are not judged, but help the counselors and teachers to get to know your child before they arrive in the summer. Please review them for appropriateness, but otherwise let the applicant decide what three things to tell us.
- Test Score: each applicant should enter a recent standardized academic achievement or ability test, including, but not limited to, ERB, CogAT, Terra Nova, OLSAT, Naglieri, and SAT/PSAT. The Virginia SOL is accepted but not preferred. If you cannot find a copy of these scores, you should request them from the guidance department at your school. If the applicant has not taken any standardized tests, please enter N/A.
- When you have completed the application, press SAVE. Do not worry if you need to change the choices for class or session. You will be able to make changes to the session or class choices after you have submitted the final version up to the middle of March. After that time, we are happy to make those changes for you if you call us.
All new applicants and prior applicants currently in 8th grade require a Teacher Recommendation. We recommend requesting the Teacher Recommendation as early as possible. Teachers are very busy and need plenty of time to respond to these requests. It is a good idea to speak to the teacher before you request the recommendation, ask if they are willing to provide the recommendation, and verify their correct/preferred email address. REQUEST ONLY ONE TEACHER RECOMMENDATION. Type the teacher’s name and their email address into the blanks provided. Once you hit submit, the form will go directly to the teacher's email account. Once they fill it out and "submit”, the recommendation will come back to us and link with your child's application. This recommendation can be received at any time by us, even before your child has completed his/her application. Sometimes the email that is sent to the teacher containing the request for recommendation will be routed to the spam/junk folder. Please ask your teacher to check their Inbox and their spam folder to locate the request.
All applicants should upload a PDF copy of the most recent report card.
In order for your child’s application to be considered, you must pay a NON REFUNDABLE $40 application fee for each child. Click on the Pay Application Fee icon, and you will be taken to the Family Payment Overview screen, listing the charges for each of your children. Please note the application fee is NON-REFUNDABLE under any circumstances including the cancellation of the program, cancellation of classes, cancellation of any session, the inability to hold the camp On Grounds, the decision to offer the program remotely, or if your child decides not to attend for any reason. Please remember, SEP is a not-for-profit organization which relies entirely on fees (including application fees) and tuition for its operating expenses.
Every summer SEP awards limited financial aid to families who request it based on submission of a completed Financial Aid Form and the relative need of all those applying. The 2021 Financial Aid Form will be available December 20, 2020. You must include copies of W2 forms for all parents (including divorced parents) when submitting the financial aid form.
Application for financial aid does not affect your chances for admission.
All elements of your application must be received on or before February 20, 2021 at midnight. This includes the application fee. Check back on the Summer Student Home page for each child to see that we have received the required elements for a completed application. There will be a message box next to each item indicating that we have received or not received that item. Please don’t hesitate to call or email us at any point during this process with questions or concerns. While SEP will accept late applications, late applicants will initially be placed on the waitlist.