The Curry School offers a vibrant virtual community with lots of opportunities for engagement and enrichment. Jenny Provo-Quarles and Bernadette Poerio, experts in Canvas and online learning, sat down with us to share their top five tips for how to get involved with the Curry community outside the classroom and make the most of the online experience.
- Use the Canvas app. The Canvas app allows you to access all of your course materials, community events, discussions and more from wherever you are.
- Think beyond your class. All Curry School students — on-Grounds and off — are connected through Canvas, so think beyond your classmates. Participate in weekly discussion boards, connect your social channels, connect on Linkedin or share tools that you’ve loved to meet friends in other programs.
- Be proactive. To build strong relationships, don't just react. Instead, be proactive about getting to know your professors and community. Inquire about virtual office hours, email your professors regularly and always ask the Online team if you have questions.
- Follow #CurryOnline. Keep up with all things Curry on social media with the #CurryOnline hashtag. (And follow Bernadette on Twitter @PutaBernOnItUVA for all the inside info!)
- Participate in community events. Online students are encouraged to participate in school-wide events like the annual Common Read and ongoing lecture series. Events are live-streamed when possible and discussions are often available on Canvas or on social media for off-Grounds students.
For more advice on successful online learning, watch the next two installments in this series: