New Students FAQ - Graduate

  • How do I set up my UVA email and computing accounts?

    You can establish your UVA email by following the instructions for new students provided by Information Technology Services. Completing this process allows you to receive communications sent to your UVA email account, register for classes in the Student Information System (SIS), and access course materials.

  • What is SIS and why is it important?

    SIS is the Student Information System. SIS houses all of your academic and enrollment information. You will use SIS to enroll in your courses as a UVA student and will do this the first time in July at orientation. We recommend you start familiarizing yourself now with SIS by visiting the SIS Help Center which can be found on the SIS login page.

  • Where do I send my final, official transcript?

    Send your official transcript to the Central Graduate Admissions Office by July 1st. The transcript must indicate final grades for all courses, the degree you were awarded, and the date on which your degree was conferred. If your degree has not yet been conferred, please do not request a transcript until that information is available. Sending your transcript to any other address than those listed below will delay processing.

    If your school offers electronic transcripts you may your transcript sent to

    If sending via U.S. Postal Service:
    Central Admissions Office
    P.O. Box 401104
    Charlottesville, VA 22904

    If sending via UPS or FedEx:
    Central Admissions Office
    1001 North Emmet Street
    Room 232, Carruthers Hall
    Charlottesville, VA 22903

    Transcripts issued in languages other than English must be issued directly by the degree-granting institution in their original language and with an accompanying translation. Translated materials are also accepted directly from organizations such as Educational Credentials EvaluatorsInternational Academic Credential EvaluatorsJosef Silny and AssociatesWorld Education Services or another ATA-certified translation service.

    If all required materials are not received by the July 1st deadline a registration block will be placed your account. If your final, official transcript will not be available by the deadline you must request a waiver of the deadline by contacting If you believe you have already submitted your materials, please consult the checklist in your application. A required document will be marked “Received – Official” if it has been received.

  • When is orientation?

    You can find information on orientation dates and times on the orientation page. Orientation provides a good opportunity to learn more about the school and to meet students, faculty, and staff as you get started in your program. We hope you are able to join us.

  • When can I enroll in classes?

    Fall enrollment for new graduate students starts July 1st. You may use the SIS shopping cart feature to select classes prior to this date.

  • Who is my advisor?

    Most programs assign advisors prior to the start of the semester and you can view your advisor’s name in your student center in the Student Information System. If you do not see an advisor listed one will be assigned at the beginning of the semester. If you have questions about your program prior to being assigned an advisor you may contact your program coordinator who is listed on your program’s webpage.

  • How can I get involved?

    The School of Education and Human Development has several opportunities to get involved in organizations specific to the School of Education and Human Development. UVA also offers a variety of ways to get involved at the university.

  • Where do I go for Career Services, Student Affairs, Registrar and Admissions related questions?

    The Office of Admissions and Student Affairs is a one-stop shop for the resources listed above and several others. We continue to operate remotely while the University is closed. Please reach out to any of our staff with questions or call 434-924-0742. All new students at the School of Education and Human Development will be added to the Canvas Virtual Community (CVC) in Canvas. The CVC includes important resources, discussions, and programming information. Students can visit the CVC, or find it in their Canvas Dashboard of courses.

  • What support systems are available to me as a student?

    When you join the School of Education and Human Development, you are joining a strong support system. You will have access to all of the UVA resources and it is likely you will access these resources as a student. You can find a list of UVA resources here at the bottom of the page under UVA resources.

    If you are in a situation where you are in need of support or accommodations due to mental or physical distress, we recommend you first contact your faculty advisor to notify them and start the process. Catherine Brighton, Associate Dean, and Jessica Livingston, Director of Student Affairs, connect students to the appropriate resources and offices at the School of Education and Human Developmentand on Grounds to help you navigate difficult circumstances.