New Students FAQ - External Transfer

  • What will orientation look like this summer?

    Summer Orientation at UVA will be in person this year. We are inviting all of our School of Education and Human Development new students to the same session during the summer. Please register for Session D which is Thursday, July 14th and Friday, July 15th. Session date and registration information can be found through Orientation and New Student Programs. More details will follow soon regarding how to prepare and what to expect in terms of course enrollment and advising.

  • Is there anything I need to do to prepare for summer orientation?

    Please carefully review the Student To Do List and the general FAQ section on the UVA Orientation website and reach out if you have any questions at all!

  • Where do I send my final transcripts?

    Send your final high school transcript and any transfer credit/dual enrollment credit information to UVA’s Central Undergraduate Admissions Office. We will receive your information electronically from their office. 

  • Do I need to resubmit my AP and IB scores?

    Yes, transfer students must resubmit their AP and IB scores. Even if credit was awarded at a previous institution, we will reevaluate your scores based on the UVA guidelines. This means you may not receive credit for an exam for which you received credit at your previous institution.

    Send any AP scores you may have to UVA using the College Code 5820. If you do not send them electronically, you should order a score report and bring it to the July orientation session unopened, so we can assist with the transfer credit process.

    If you have IB scores, send a copy of your transcript to the university. If you recently graduated from high school, you may be able to work with your IB coordinator for requests. If you need to request a transcript on your own, you can request to have a transcript sent to the university through the IB website.

  • Who is my advisor?

    Your advisor will be assigned over the summer and you will be able to see their name in your student center on the Student Information System.

  • What is SIS and why is it important?

    SIS is the Student Information System. SIS houses all of your academic and enrollment information. You will use SIS to enroll in your courses as a UVA student and will do this the first time in July at orientation. We recommend you start familiarizing yourself now with SIS by visiting this page

  • What should I do if I do not get the classes I expected?

    It is likely you will not get all the classes you expect when you come to orientation and even when you enroll in later semesters. First, remember that enrollment at orientation is a process and you will be able to change your schedule again in early August. At this time, many courses open up because all students are adjusting their schedules. Second, the curriculum is flexible and there are several options to fill many of the required courses. Always make sure you meet with your advisor to go over your selections and alternative options!

  • How can I get involved?

    The School of Education and Human Development has several opportunities to get involved in organizations specific to the School of Education and Human Development. UVA also offers a variety of ways to get involved at the university.

  • Where do I go for Career Services, Student Affairs, Registrar and Admissions related questions?

    Visit the Office of Admissions and Student Affairs, which is a one-stop shop for the resources listed above and several others. We are located in Ruffner Hall, Room 102 and our phone number is 434.924.0742.

  • What support systems are available to me as a student?

    When you join the School of Education and Human Development, you are joining a strong support system. You will have access to all of the UVA resources and it is likely you access these resources as a student. You can find more information regarding resources and important information on our Current Student page.

     If you are in a situation where you are in need of support or accommodations due to mental or physical distress, we recommend you first contact your faculty advisor to notify them and start the process. Catherine Brighton, Associate Dean, and Jessica Livingston, Director of Student Affairs, connect students to the appropriate resources and offices at the School of Education and Human Development and on Grounds to help you navigate difficult circumstances.