Job Candidate Laura Bellows
Download Curriculum Vitae
Laura Bellows is an Institute of Education Sciences (IES) Postdoctoral Fellow in the School of Education and Human Development at the University of Virginia. Her research focuses on how policy creates, or eases, different forms of instability. In her current work, she examines 1) the effects of social safety net programs on child outcomes; 2) the relationship between increases in immigration enforcement in the U.S. interior and child outcomes; and 3) the prevalence and effects of different forms of instability for early childhood educators. She has a particular expertise working with state administrative data, conducting both descriptive and quasi-experimental studies. Currently, she is working with Daphna Bassok and Anna Markowitz on measuring the rates of turnover for teachers of toddlers and preschoolers using novel administrative data from Louisiana.
Faculty Advisor: Anna Gassman-Pines
Postdoctoral Mentor: Daphna Bassok
Dissertation Committee: Elizabeth Ananat, Seth Sanders, Angel Harris, Sarah Komisarow
- Bellows, Laura (2019). "Immigration Enforcement and Student Achievement in the Wake of Secure Communities." AERA Open 5 (4), 1-20. doi: 10.1177/2332858419884891
- Gassman-Pines, Anna and Laura Bellows (2018). "Food Instability and Academic Achievement:A Quasi-Experiment Using SNAP Benefit Timing." American Educational ResearchJournal 55 (5), 897-927. doi: 10.3102/0002831218761337
- von Hippel, Paul and Laura Bellows (2018). “How Much Does Teacher Quality VaryAcross Teacher Preparation Programs? Reanalyzing Estimates from 6 States.” Economics of Education Review 64, 298-312. doi: 10.1016/j.econedurev.2018.01.005
- Saulters, Oral S., Brijesh Krishnan, Mary Beth Harris, Hani Bashour, Laura Bellows, Evan J. Ringquist, and Diane Henshel (2017). "Waste-to-Hope: Measuring Sustainability Benefits of Product Philanthropy Partnership." Journal of Environmental Protection 8(10), 1219-1242. doi: 10.4236/jep.2017.810076
- von Hippel, Paul, Laura Bellows, Cynthia Osborne, Jane Lincove, and Nicholas Mills(2016). "Teacher Quality Differences Between Teacher Preparation Programs: How Big? How Reliable? Which Programs Are Different?" Economics of Education Review 53,31-45. doi:10.1016/j.econedurev.2016.05.002
- Lincove, Jane, Cynthia Osborne, Nicholas Mills, and Laura Bellows (2015). “TeacherPreparation for Profit or Prestige: Analysis of a Diverse Market for Teacher Preparation.”Journal of Teacher Education 66(5), 415-434. doi:10.1177/0022487115602311
- Bassok, Daphna, Anna J. Markowitz, Laura Bellows, and Katharine Sadowski. "New Evidence on Teacher Turnover in Early Childhood."
- Bellows, Laura. "Immigration Enforcement and Student Outcomes: The Effects of 287(g) Programs in North Carolina."
- Gassman-Pines, Anna, Laura Bellows, William E. Copeland, Rick H. Hoyle, and Candice L. Odgers. "Daily variation in adolescent food insecurity."
- Tome, Romina, Marcos A. Rangel, Christina Gibson-Davis, and Laura Bellows. "Heightened Immigration Enforcement Impacts U.S. Citizens’ Birth Outcomes."
- Bellows, Laura and Paul von Hippel. "CATERPILLAR: Stata module to generate confidence intervals, Bonferroni-corrected confidence intervals, and null distribution." https://econpapers.repec.org/software/bocbocode/s458360.htm
- Horowitz Foundation for Social Policy. "Immigration Enforcement and Student Achievement." $7,500 (Principal Investigator).
- Russell Sage Foundation, Educational Opportunity Monitoring Project. "ImmigrationEnforcement Policy and Hispanic-White Achievement Gaps" (Award #83-17-01). 11/1/2016 - 10/31/2017, $6,200 (Principal Investigator).
- Honorable Mention, Jean Flanigan Outstanding Dissertation Award, Association for Education Finance and Policy, 2020
- Teaching assistant for introductory quantitative sequence (statistics and program evaluation) for Duke MPP students, 2017-2018
- Fourth grade teacher within Houston Independent School District (HISD), 2006-2008
- Gassman-Pines, Anna and Laura Bellows (2018, March 29). "Yes, the Social Safety Net Matters for Student Performance" [Op-Ed]. Education Week. https://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2018/03/29/yes-the-social-safety-net-matters-for.html?cmp=soc-twitter-shr
- von Hippel, Paul and Laura Bellows (2018, Summer). "Rating Teacher-Preparation Programs: Can Value-Added Make Useful Distinctions?" Education Next. https://www.educationnext.org/rating-teacher-preperation-programs-value-added-make-useful-distinctions/