The School's Office of Research Administration assists faculty, post-docs and graduate students with the development and submission of grant proposals for internal and external sponsorship of projects. We also work with School staff engaged in the day-to-day administration of funded projects to ensure compliance with University, state, federal and sponsor guidelines and regulations. Our goal is to help you write the best possible proposal and, if a grant is awarded, to assist you in managing it efficiently and effectively.
Your first step is to develop an idea for a research project that you believe worthy of funding. You can do this on your own, with colleagues at the School of Education and Human Development, other University of Virginia schools, or other institutions. If you decide to move forward with developing a proposal, you should inform your Department Chair or Center Director and consult with her/him about the potential need for space, other departmental support, or course release (i.e., buy-out) from teaching.
After consulting with your Chair or Director, schedule time to meet with your local Research Administrator. Together with department and center research administrators, our office helps with over 125 proposals every year and we have a wealth of experience in communicating with sponsors from numerous federal and state agencies and private foundations. Please consider us as collaborative partners in preparing your proposal and managing your grant.
Your local research administrator can help you in many ways including: formulating your budget, understanding and meeting administrative requirements that apply to your proposal, and obtaining internal approvals. Please contact them for the following:
- New proposals and contracts, including budget development;
- Resubmission, renewal, and supplement proposals;
- Initial at-risk account set-up;
- Progress reports and continuations;
- No-cost extensions/at-risk account extensions;
- Faculty funding reports;
- Labor Distribution
Jeff Parks is the School's main point of contact for non-funded agreements, such as data use agreements (DUAs), MOUs, confidential disclosure agreements (CDAs), material transfer agreements (MTAs), etc.
Catherine Thompson oversees Pre-Award Research Administration for the School and has signatory authority on proposals and other pre-award documents. Please contact her for the following:
- PI exception requests;
- Notarial services;
- Grant transfers (incoming/outgoing);
- Systems access (ResearchUVA, COI, Commons, ASSIST, Workspace, Fastlane, Research.gov, other sponsor systems, etc.);
- Other pre-award assistance as needed, for example: communicating with sponsors, proposal guidance, proposal help if your local research administrator is out of the office, etc.
Danielle Richardson oversees Post-Award Research Administration for the School. Please contact her for any of the following:
- Post-award financial management issues;
- Oversight of effort reporting;
- Facilitation of audits;
- Other post-award assistance as needed.
If what you need is not listed, feel free to contact Catherine or Danielle and they will direct you.