UVA will NOT be hosting SURP in 2021. We hope to continue the program in 2022.
Students eligible for the program in the School of Education and Human Development must meet the following criteria:
- be enrolled full-time at a four-year college or university
- attend a school other than UVA (We encourage UVA students interested in EP-ADS and Ed Policy to contact us about other opportunities to get involved in education research.)
- be in their junior year at the time of application (with 2 semesters or less to complete after Summer internship)
- have a 3.0 or better cumulative grade point average
- show interest and promise in graduate study in education research
- have background and qualifications consistent with that aspiration (coursework in quantitative areas such as math, statistics, and science courses will be helpful, as well as coursework and experience with topics related to your research interests)
- be willing to make a full-time commitment to the program during the entire 10-week summer session (arrive in Charlottesville early June and depart early August, approximately).
- have strong quantitative and/or qualitative skills as evidenced by coursework and grades in math, statistics and science courses
- Due to the nature of our funding applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States
The School of Education and Human Development encourages SURP applications from students from underrepresented groups, including racial/ethnic minorities, first-generation college students, economically disadvantaged students, veterans, and students with disabilities.
All application materials and supplementary documents must be received on or before February 1st. You must complete the application through the Leadership Alliance Research Early Identification Program online portal AND submit supplementary documents to the SURP program.
Step 1: Review the SR-EIP online recruitment brochure (PDF) and Application Instructions. Complete the application through the online portal, including asking your recommenders to submit within the SR-EIP system. On the "Interests & Schools" page, please be sure to select the following options before completing your application:
- Under "Research Field": Select Education.
- Under "Area of Interest": Select the area you are most interested in.
- Under "Research Institution": Select the University of Virginia.
Step 2: Complete your supplemental application materials with the SURP program.
- Prepare your SURP supplemental materials including:
- Your ACT (Math, Science, English, Reading, Writing, Composite) or SAT (Critical Reading, Math, Writing) scores
- Which SURP summer research projects you are interested in. Review our website and be prepared rank your top choices.
- Current résumé/CV (please make sure your name is saved in the file name)
- Personal statement (please make sure your name is saved in the file name): Please review the requirements below***
- Submit your SURP supplemental materials via our admissions website. Note: Please make sure to have all your materials prepared before starting this form as you may not be able to access it again or submit twice from the same browser.
***SURP Supplemental Personal Statement
The Summer Undergraduate Research Program is intended to help students from diverse backgrounds learn about and prepare for graduate study in educational science. Your SURP supplemental personal statement is your opportunity to explain why you want to participate in this specific summer program.
In a separate document, please write a brief personal statement of one page or less (double-spaced, 12-point font, 1 inch margins). This would be in addition to your SR-EIP statement of purpose and tailored specifically to the SURP program and/or educational research. Please consider discussing the following:
- How the SURP project(s) you ranked fit with your interests.
- How the SURP program specifically, with our additional professional development and research experience, will help you meet your goals (if not already addressed in your SR-EIP statement of purpose).
- Any additional information about your background, experiences, and characteristics that will enable you to complete a rigorous and intensive research program like SURP (if not already addressed in your SR-EIP statement of purpose).
You will be notified of admissions decisions by April 1st.
Questions? Please contact CurrySURP@virginia.edu