Youth-Nex Youth of Color Matter Conference Resources
Videos Presented at the Conference
- Because of Them We Can - Brought by David J. Johns
- REAL-Talk, Undoing Racism in America's Cities - Brought by Leon T. Andrews, Jr.
- Short excerpt featuring author & educator, Tim Wise, from "Undoing Racism" segment
- Color Blind or Color Brave? - TED Talk by Mellody Hobson
- From TED: The subject of race can be very touchy. As finance executive Mellody Hobson says, it's a 'conversational third rail.' But, she says, that's exactly why we need to start talking about it. In this engaging, persuasive talk, Hobson makes the case that speaking openly about race — and particularly about diversity in hiring — makes for better businesses and a better society.
- M-Cubed (Math, Men, Mission) - Brought by Wesley Bellamy
Other Resources on Topics from the Conference
- White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for African American Resources
- Tested - Film by Curtis Chin
- '14 Down and Counting' - Cities United Report. 'Every 24 hours in America, 14 young men and boys are gunned down1 on the streets of our cities. Mayors have the power and the responsibility to help end this senseless loss of life.'
- More on the organization, Make the Road NY
- Fairfax County Public Schools Resources including videos (FCPS)
- Student-led Restorative Justice
- 'Breaking Schools' Rules: A Statewide Study on How School Discipline Relates to Students' Success and Juvenile Justice Involvement' - Report
- Disproportionate Impact of K-12 School Suspension and Expulsion on Black Students in Southern States - Report, Center For The Study Of Race And Equity In Education
- The Discipline Disparities Research-to-Practice Collaborative - School Discipline Research Database, Indiana University
- 'Understanding and Measuring Providers’/Teachers’ Cultural Sensitivity with Families' - Report, Office of Planning Research and Evaluation (OPRE), Department of Health & Human Services
MENTORING RESOURCES (from Noelle Hurd, Ph.D.)
- Mentoring Central: http://www.mentoringcentral.net/
- National Mentoring Resource Center:
- Different types of discrimination related to youth who may be considered 'model minority,' (references Diane Hughes work).
- Journal Articles:
- 'A Closer Look at Peer Discrimination, Ethnic Identity, and Psychological Well-being Among Urban Chinese American Sixth Graders' http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10964-007-9227-x
- 'A Preliminary Analysis of Associations Among Ethnic–Racial Socialization, Ethnic Discrimination, and Ethnic Identity Among Urban Sixth Graders' http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1532-7795.2009.00607.x/full
GLOBAL PERSPECTIVE PUBLISHER/CURRICULA
- Rethinking Schools - rethinkingschools.org
- Independent publisher with curricula and more from a global and social justice perspective.