Events & Talks
The Center for Race and Public Education in the South is host to a series of events including lectures, symposia and an annual Summer Teachers Institute.
Below is an embedded Google calendar with all of the events. If you cannot see this calendar, please try another web browser. Below the Google calendar is a summary of all the events with iCal links.
Spring 2021 Event Summary
Below is a quick summary of dates, times, locations and downloadable iCal/Outlook links.
Race and Education Lecture Series
Eddie Cole will present The Campus Color Lines: College Presidents and the Struggle for Black Freedom
Tuesday, April 6th from 12:30-1:30pm EST
Some of America’s most pressing civil rights issues—desegregation, equal educational and employment opportunities, housing discrimination, and free speech—have been closely intertwined with higher education institutions. In his book The Campus Color Line: College Presidents and the Struggle for Black Freedom (Princeton 2020), Cole maps the role of college presidents in shaping national conversations around racial equity in the mid-century. Mark your calendar to join us via zoom, link here (Zoom ID: 955 3724 4533 Passcode: CRPES2021). No registration required! iCal forthcoming. There will be a graduate student panel following the talk, email [email protected] if you are interested in attending.
Pushing the Boundaries: A Conversation on the Future of Anti-Bias Research and Practice in Education
Wednesday, April 21st from 11am-12pm EST
Panelists will engage in a critical conversation of existing research on anti-bias educational practices and consider ways in which we can expand these perspectives to include deeper understandings of systemic biases and recognition of students' humanity. Featuring Drs. Stephanie Curenton (Boston University) and María Cioè- Peña (Montclair State University), moderated by Dr. Natalia Palacios (University of Virginia). Mark your calendar to join us via zoom, link here (Zoom ID: 999 1350 4466 Passcode: CRPES2021). No registration required! iCal forthcoming.
2021 Charlottesville Freedom School Informational Session
Thursday, February 4th from 12-1pm via zoom.
- Register here: bit.ly/2021_SLIInfoSession
- Description: The UVA Center for Race and Public Education in the South (CRPES) is looking to hire new Servant Leader Interns (aka teachers) for our 2021 Summer Freedom School. We are holding an Zoom informational session where we will discuss important information like stipend amount, day to day responsibilities of SLIs, and answer any questions or concerns you may have. A former SLI will also be sharing their experience teaching in the 2020 Freedom School. Zoom registration information below. If you have any additional questions or concerns please email [email protected].
Race & Education Methods Workshop Series (open to graduate students):
Thursday, January 28th from 12:30-2:30pm. Download iCal to your calendar.
- Register here: https://tinyurl.com/CRPESOralHistory.
- Title: Conducting Oral Histories: Communities, Race & Education
- Description: This interactive workshop will engage participants in the uses of oral history as a research method. Participants will have the opportunity to write interview questions and practice conducting oral history. Upon completion, participants will be better equipped to conduct oral histories and incorporate oral history methods into their research.
Race & Education Works-In-Progress Meetings (open to all):
- Tuesday, February 23rd from 12:30-1:30pm via zoom, link here (Meeting ID: 952 6481 6550 & Passcode: YN2021) . Download iCal to your calendar.
- In partnership with Youth-Nex, Dr. Tiffany Mitchell-Patterson from WVU will be presenting with post-doc Dr. Chris Seeger on "Teaching 2020: The Experiences of Social Justice Educators."
- At the end of the 2020 school year, Tiffany Mitchell-Patterson and Chris Seeger surveyed self-identified ‘social justice educators’ to learn about their experiences during the transition to remote learning and the BLM uprising.
- Tuesday, March 23rd from 12:30-1:30pm via zoom, link forthcoming. Download iCal to your calendar.
- Tuesday, April 27th from 12:30-1:30pm via zoom, link forthcoming. Download iCal to your calendar.
Please note, these meetings are for internal CRPES faculty by invitation only.