Master of Teaching - Special Ed & Elementary Ed

Do you want to be a special education and/or an elementary school teacher? Join School of Education and Human Development's top-ranked Teacher Ed community and graduate with the degree to do both.

We are no longer accepting applications for the Special Education / Elementary Education program. The School of Education and Human Development offers post-graduate programs in Elementary Education and Special Education, as well as an add-on endorsement in Special Education. Contact us for more information.


Other Special Education Pathways at the School of Education and Human Development

Students interested in our on-grounds program in Charlottesville should visit our Special Education program page.

Students interested in our part-time special education program in Northern Virginia should visit our Special Education - Northern Virginia program page.

Teachers who hold a professional license and wish to add the special education endorsement can do so by taking our Special Education - General Curriculum Add-on course series. This course series can also be applied toward a Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction.

  • Public Professional Licensure Disclosures

    As a member of the State Authorizations Reciprocity Agreement, the University of Virginia (UVA) is authorized to provide curriculum in a distance learning environment to students located in all states in the United States except for California. (34 CFR 668.43(a)(6)& 34 CFR 668.72(n)).

    Upon completion of the Master of Teaching program at the UVA School of Education and Human Development, graduates may be eligible for initial professional licensure in another U.S. state by applying to the licensing board or agency in that state. Please visit the University’s state authorization web pages to make an informed decision regarding which states’ educational requirements for initial licensure are met by this program. (668.43(a)(5) (v)(A) - (C))

    Enrolled students who change their current (or mailing) address to a state other than Virginia should update this information immediately in the Student Information System as it may impact their ability to complete internship, practicum, or clinical hours, use Title IV funds, or meet licensure or certification requirements in the new state. (34 CFR 668.402).

The information contained on this website is for informational purposes only. The Undergraduate Record and Graduate Record represent the official repository for academic program requirements. These publications may be found at