Administration & Supervision Graduation and Endorsement Instructions
Congratulations! If you are reading this, you are quickly approaching the end of your graduate program of studies in educational leadership at the UVA School of Education and Human Development. However, there are numerous steps/forms you must complete as you conclude your studies. Since students often get confused by these requirements, it is important that you carefully read the information and instructions below.
The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE), operating under the authority of the Code of Virginia, oversees the licensure of all public school educators in the Commonwealth. Universities or colleges in Virginia do not issue teaching licenses nor do they issue endorsements, such as the prek-12 administration and supervision endorsement, to licenses. Instead, higher education institutions, including the School of Education and Human Development and the University of Virginia, are granted “state approval” for their programs of studies.
The School of Education and Human Development verifies that students have completed the state-approved program in Administration and Supervision to VDOE. The School of Education and Human Development also verifies that students have taken and passed the School Leaders Licensure Assessment (SLLA), a state-required test given through the Educational Testing Service. Once the School of Education and Human Development has verified program completion, it is then the responsibility of each student to apply for the endorsement through VDOE. Instructions to apply for the preK-12 administration and supervision endorsement are detailed below for each program track. It is imperative that you apply for endorsement during your last semester as a student to avoid payment of an affiliated status fee charged by the Registrar.
Students who are pursuing a Master’s degree degree have specific steps to take to ensure their graduation and awarding of their degrees. It is the responsibility of each student to apply for graduation. Graduation requirements are separate from the VDOE endorsement requirements. Instructions for applying for graduation are detailed below in the sections regarding the Master’s program.
One form must be accessed through the VDOE website: College Verification Form – DAO35. It can be found at http://www.doe.virginia.gov/teaching/licensure/application.pdf .
Master’s Degree Program Instructions Only
It is your responsibility to apply for graduation in your last semester of coursework. A series of steps need to be taken to ensure your graduation. They are:
- Register and take the School Leaders Licensure Assessment (SLLA) administered by the Educational Testing Service (ETS). See testing deadlines in the chart below. You MUST take the SLLA exam early enough to allow 15 business days for ETS to report scores to the School of Education and Human Development. If your scores do not arrive on or before the deadline date listed below, you will not be able to graduate and you will need to pay a fee with graduation slated for the next semester.
- Verify your diploma name in the Student Information System (SIS), and self-apply for graduation in SIS.
- Download and submit the appropriate graduation application from the School of Education and Human Development website (search: “Graduation forms”) to your advisor for his/her signature, paying particular attention to the directions on this form. See the deadline for submitting your graduation application in the chart below.
- If you are transferring in coursework from another institution of higher education, you must also submit an official copy of that transcript with an application for transfer credit found on the website under “Forms and Resources.”
- All of these instructions will be emailed to you as a student each semester via your UVA email. Additionally, information about participating in Final Exercises in May (walking the Lawn; attending the School of Education and Human Development Graduation Ceremony) is sent via UVA email. It is critically important that you access your UVA email to receive this information.
|Semester Graduation Deadlines||Submit Graduation Application to Advisor||Take SLLA Test By This Date||The School of Education and Human Development Reception of SLLA Scores*|
|Fall||October 1||October 15||December 1|
|Spring||February 1||March 15||May 1|
|Summer||June 1||June 15||August 1|
*The School of Education and Human Development must receive official SLLA scores by this date each semester to process students for graduation in that semester. Failure to submit scores by the deadline will delay graduation until the next semester, and will result in a fee being charged.
As noted earlier, receiving your degree does not result in a PreK-12 administration and supervision endorsement because the VDOE confers endorsement. You must apply for the endorsement following these steps:
- Register and take the School Leaders Licensure Assessment (SLLA) administered by the Educational Testing Service (ETS). See testing deadlines in the chart above. You MUST take the SLLA exam early enough to allow 15 business days for ETS to report scores to the School of Education and Human Development. If your scores do not arrive on or before the deadline date listed below, you will not be able to apply for endorsement.
- Download the College Verification Form 2021 and complete part 1 of the form and send it to the [email protected]. (Social security number may be omitted and put in the last 4 digits when the form is sent back to you, or you may use the last 4 digits when sending in to [email protected].
- Return the College Verification Form, a copy of your School Leader Licensure Assessment (SLLA) results and ID number, and an unofficial transcript via email (scan and attach) to the School of Education and Human Development Admissions team OR by snail mail to the School of Education and Human Development, P.O. Box 400261, Charlottesville, VA 22904. The School of Education and Human Development’s licensure official will sign your College Verification Form and send back to you at the address you provided.
- Once your degree shows as being conferred on your transcript in SIS (mid-May, or Mid- August or late December), order an official copy of your transcripts from the University of Virginia Registrar’s Office. It is imperative that you apply for endorsement during your last semester as a student to avoid payment of an affiliated status fee charged by the Registrar.
- Submit your official transcripts and the signed College Verification Form to your school system’s licensure office for processing with the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) OR mail your official transcripts and the signed College Verification Form with any required fee to the VDOE per the guidelines available at the VDOE web site.
- IF, and only if, you are renewing your initial teaching license when you are adding the PK-12 Administration & Supervision endorsement to it, you will need to complete the dyslexia module as well as update your CPR and Child Abuse modules. These are VDOE requirements, not UVA requirements for degree recipients.