Out and Allied Educators
What is Out and Allied Educators?
Out and Allied Educators is a student affinity group at the School of Education and Human Development for educators who aim to show up authentically as members of the LGBTQIA2S Community, and allied educators who want to create a safe learning environment.
OAE formed in the fall of 2021, after two graduate students identified a need for an affinity space for members of the LGBTQIA2S Community at EHD. From this, and with the support of EHD’s Office of DEI, grew a powerful group of people who are passionate about buttressing Out Educators and supporting Allies in creating safe classrooms.
The Mission and Vision of Out and Allied Educators
- To prepare Out educators to navigate educational spaces
- To support members of the LGBTQIA2S Community at EHD
- To increase visibility and highlight the substantial contributions of LGBTQIA2S educators
- To build community around shared affinity
- To provide a safe space to process the issues that directly and indirectly impact the LGBTQIA2S Community
- To develop and lead professional development for K12 teachers to provide age-appropriate gender identity development
- To provide resources for Allies’ self-study and advocacy; and
- To engage with EHD and broader community to promote inclusion and belonging
Meetings, Events, and Membership
We meet bi-weekly for community and pursuing our goals of safe space training, advocacy, and engagement. Out and Allied Educators is open to undergraduate and graduate EHD students who identify as members of the LGBTQIA2S Community and Allies who advocate and privilege the experience of marginalized identities.
Members at large available to address questions about membership, professional development, or the ways in which we support each other: