Hunter Student Research Conference
The Hunter Student Research Conference (HSRC) is an opportunity for undergraduate and graduate students to share their research while gaining valuable experience proposing, preparing, and presenting their work in a supportive environment.
For over a decade, the student research conference at the School of Education and Human Development has provided an opportunity for undergraduate and graduate students to showcase their innovative research. The one-day event is held in the late spring and includes poster sessions, paper sessions, workshops, panels, and a keynote speaker. It is organized for students mostly by students (with the support of a faculty liaison and staff in the Dean’s Office), so it is also an opportunity for students to gain experience designing, planning, and running an academic conference.
Recently renamed in 2020, the Hunter Student Research Conference honors the barrier-breaking alumna, Dr. Louise Stokes Hunter, Educ ‘53. Dr. Hunter was the first Black woman to graduate from the University of Virginia.
For most up-to-date information and research submission portal, please visit http://theopenscholar.org/hunter-student-research-conference/
HSRC 2022-2023 Planning Committee:
Ryan Burke - EP-ADS
Allison Ward-Seidel - EP-ADS
Jen Xu - KINE
Amelia Bruce - KINE
Eric Bredder - CISE
Xavier Thompson - KINE
Mary Margaret Hughes - CISE
Analia Mazoratti - EP-ADS
Sarah Beach - RSE
Anna Yonas - CISE
As a student run organization that values diversity, equity, and inclusion, we want to ensure that all students at the UVA School of Education and Human Development have the opportunity to be a part of the planning committee, reviewer, moderator, or tech support for the Hunter Student Research Conference. All undergraduate, graduate, online, and on-grounds students across UVA are welcome! You can sign-up on the 2023 HSRC Interest Form at this link.
- The Communications Committee coordinates conference promotion, upkeep of the website, and communication about the conference.
- The Logistics Committee coordinates location, technology, food, and volunteers on the day of the conference.
- The Program Committee coordinates presentation moderator training and presentation sessions, faculty involvement, creation of the program, and presentation schedules.
- The Proposal Committee coordinates proposal submissions and review process.
- The Outreach Committee develops monthly workshops leading up to the HSRC that prepares potential participants for applying to and participating in the conference.
Submissions for the 2023 conference will open Monday, Nov. 21, 2021 and close on Tuesday, Jan. 31, 2023.
We encourage all undergraduate, graduate, online, and on-grounds students across UVA to consider submitting to the conference! We accept proposals for three different research types (empirical, theoretical, and literature review) in three possible presentation formats (paper session, poster session, and research-in-progress showcase). For more information and questions, please email HSRC@virginia.edu
Thank You to Our Sponsors
- Dr. Hunter's Family, including Yvette Washington and Hunter White
- Dean's Office
- VEST Keynote Team
- Education & Social Science Research Library