Youth-Nex Youth Advisory Council
What is a Youth Advisory Council?
The Youth-Nex Youth Advisory Council is comprised of youth in grades 9-12. The goal of the Youth-Nex Youth Advisory Council is to provide youth with a platform to use their voices and develop their sense of agency through research. In addition to offering their own unique perspectives on Youth-Nex initiatives and programs, members of the Youth Advisory Council will reinforce their strengths, including autonomy, creative thinking, innovation, and activism.
Youth Council Member Responsibilities
- Committing to serving one semester (August-December)
- Attend and actively participate in all scheduled monthly meetings
- Make decisions and recommendations on Youth-Nex programs and initiatives
- Advocate on behalf of Charlottesville City and Albemarle County students
Why should youth join our Youth Advisory Council?
Short Term Benefits
- Build strong and lasting friendships
- Develop soft skills (communication, teamwork, problem solving, etc.)
- Swag bags/merchandise
- Access to UVA and/or YN events Gift cards!
Long Term Benefits
- Develop a network of support
- Learn about post-secondary education opportunities (Career pathways, College application assistance and connection to scholarships)
Youth Council membership criteria
- Applicants must currently be enrolled at a Charlottesville City or Albemarle County school and remain enrolled for the duration of the 2022-2023 school year
- Willingness to learn and desire to make a difference
- Comfortable working remotely using virtual communication platforms, such as Zoom
- All applicants will be considered regardless of race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, or disability